If you like doing DIY projects around the house, you probably have your own custom DIY toolkit.
But there comes a time when you can’t find the tool that you actually need for the project at hand.
That’s when we search all our toolboxes and still have that one thing that’s missing.
In that case, we stop everything we are doing. We go to the shop and try to find the one we need now.
Table of Contents
Essential Tools for DIY Projects
There are tools that we always need to have around the house because sometimes something happens on a shelf and we don’t need to call a carpenter to take care of it.
We just need a suitable set of tools and a little skill to get the job done. Let’s focus on the tools.
All toolboxes should contain a hammer. The hammer is the number one item in every toolset because it’s practical and necessary.
Whether you need to hang a painting or nail down a hardwood floor, the hammer gets the job done.
There are different hammers according to their use:
- Sled hammers: These are mainly used for demolition because they have a long handle and a heavy head. They’re designed so that once you swing them, the mass of the head adds to the force, and we can break almost anything with them.
They’re a good thing to have if you’re planning to DIY a unit expansion or rearrange the walls in your house.
- Claw hammers: These come with a head that has a claw on one side, and a regular hammerhead on the other side. They’re quite handy for any work with nails because you can easily pull out old nails if you need to.
So, if you’re replacing the back of your wardrobe, you can easily pull out the old nails, remove the old back, and then put a new one on.
- Ball-peen hammers: If you’re doing DIY, maintain a secure environment for the rest of the family. That’s where ball-peen hammers come in because they’re used to round off nails and screw edges.
If you’re forging something at your workshop, these are great to make the surface round.
There are other types of hammers, but the ones we mentioned are the most common. If you want to learn more about hammers, check out the different hammers and their uses.
It’s necessary to have a screwdriver set for your DIY projects because most of the time we make something, we do it with nails or screws. The screws and bolts hold a construction together.
There are two essential types of screwdrivers that you should have for your DIY projects. The standard slotted screwdriver (commonly known as “flathead”) and the cross-slot screwdriver (Phillips).
There’s not much to discuss here. A simple 8m tape measure does the job for any DIY project unless you’re making a wooden ark. A tape measure definitely is a must-have in your DIY toolset.
For pliers, there are a lot of types, and the thing is that we can use them to cut wires, to adjust bolts and nuts, and other things. The type of pliers you use depends on the task you have:
- Long-nose pliers: If you can’t reach something because it’s in a tough spot, these pliers can help a lot. When it’s a regular nut or bolt, utility pliers can do the trick. Long-nose pliers are an optional DIY tool.
- Utility pliers: This type of plier can grip almost any shape, and you can twist and turn it without damaging the object. You can adjust the grip size, and that’s why they’re a great substitute for wrenches if you don’t have any.
- Combination pliers: Although we can’t adjust the size of the grip with combination pliers, we can do almost anything. We can cut wires, we can screw/unscrew bolts and nuts, and we can even pull out nails.
When setting a specific budget for DIY tools, you should definitely include the combination pliers because of their multiple uses.
A power drill has tons of uses, and it’s a tool that makes your DIY activities much easier because drilling holes with a regular hand drill takes time and energy. Plus, a power drill with a good screw bit set can replace a whole screwdriver set.
However, sometimes it’s better to use a screwdriver than a power drill, especially with delicate carpentry work. If you use a drill to screw something into the wood, the wood piece might break. So, when doing DIY carpentry, use screwdrivers for smaller pieces of wood.
Nobody likes to clean up an enormous mess after completing a DIY project and looking at their work.
That’s why it’s good to have a toolbox for all these essential tools. Once you finish using a certain tool, just put it in the toolbox.
This way, you’ll always know where all your tools are, and the chances of losing any of the tools are much smaller.
Which Tools to Use?
It’s safe to say that if you like to DIY, you should use all these tools at some point. However, it largely depends on the type of DIY project. If it’s carpentry, you’ll use a carpentry toolset. If it’s forging, you’ll use forging tools, etc.
Let’s discuss the type of project and tools:
- Carpentry: Apart from the essentials that include a hammer, drill, and tape measure, you’ll also need a mallet, file, chisel, and a saw. Also, if you’re really planning to get into the woodwork, make sure you have a workbench.
- Construction: This type of project involves pliers, a sledgehammer, a screwdriver, a drill, and a tape measure from the essential kit. But you’ll also need a level, a utility knife, and safety equipment.
- Metalworking: Working with metal is a little different, and apart from the ball-peen hammer, you might need a hacksaw, bandsaw, welder, and other tools to make the DIY metalworking much easier.
There are other project types and other necessary tools. The best thing to do is evaluate the project before choosing the right tools. Think about all the steps in the project and what materials and tools you’ll need to complete them.
There is an essential toolset that you should have for any DIY activity around your home.
You should evaluate the project before choosing the tools, and if you don’t have the tools, you can always get them before you start the job.
If the toolboxes aren’t ready before we start the job, then there will be interruptions, and we might forget something important.
We don’t have a manager or someone to tell us what to do, that’s the beauty of DIY, but it’s also the reason we have to plan the project thoroughly.